We are now almost halfway through 2016 and while part of me is wondering how the year has gone so fast, another part is marvelling at the fact that we are only now feeling ready – and warm enough – to shed the layers.
But as I look out at the beautiful sunshine I have to admit that it’s better late than never.
So, now that we dare to bare the flesh, it’s once again time to get our self-tanning routine in check.
In the interest of skin safety and also bearing in mind the ‘fake it ‘til you make it’ motto, I checked in with the experts at bBold to get the lowdown on how to prep the skin for tan, apply the product and maintain it for as long as possible.
Step 1: Prepare
Hair Removal: Wax 48 hours before tanning and shave 24 hours before to allow your skin to recover and your pores to close.
Exfoliate: Exfoliate thoroughly 24 hours before tanning. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the skin’s outermost layer to help ensure even coverage on application. After exfoliating, moisturise your skin.
Cleanse: Shower 30 minutes before application. This will enable your skin to return to its natural PH balance and allow time for your pores to close. Do not apply body lotion or deodorant before tanning.
Moisturise: Apply a small amount of moisturiser to areas of dry skin to include hands, elbows, knees and ankles. This will provide a slight barrier and prevent a build-up of tan.
Step 2: Apply
• Using a tanning mitt, apply bBold Smart Mousse to the skin. The instant colour achieved by Smart Mousse helps indicate the depth of colour your tan will be when fully developed.
• Wait 2-5 minutes until your tan is dry before getting redressed.
• Wait from 1-3 hours to achieve your desired colour.
Step 3: Maintain
Cleanse: Shower gels with a high PH level can cause your tan to fade from the skin faster. In this regard, use a mild moisturising soap to maintain your skin’s natural PH level and help prolong your tan for longer.
Moisturise: Your tan will fade away from the skin as dead skin cells erode. To keep your tan for longer, best advice is to moisturise your skin daily.
bBold’s Brand Manager, Louise Donaghy’s Personal Tips:
• Do not under estimate the importance of exfoliation
• Start gently exfoliating skin on day 4 after your tan application as this will help remove dead skin cells and ensure even fade. This will also help ensure that skin is free from tan by day 7 so that the next application is on prepped, clean skin.
• An exfoliating glove combined with body scrub will provide the best results
• To avoid the tell-tale fake tan signs around the hands, apply a rich moisturiser before application
• Apply product to the arms first and using the remaining product on the applicator mitt, claw hand and apply in a circular motion
•Use moisturiser on all areas of dry skin to include elbows, knees and ankles prior to application to avoid a build-up of tan