Southern Star Ltd. logo

MICC's cup run is over

March 27th, 2018 9:00 AM

By Ger McCarthy

MICC's cup run is over Image
The Maria Immaculata Community College squad with manager Ter Hogan (back row, far left) prior to the FAI National Schoolboys Junior B semi-final defeat to Glenamaddy at the University of Limerick.

Share this article

Maria Immaculata Community College's marvellous run in this year's Bank of Ireland Students FAI Schools National Championship ended at the semi-final stages in Limerick.

MARIA Immaculata Community College’s marvellous run in this year’s Bank of Ireland Students FAI Schools National Championship ended at the semi-final stages in Limerick.

Ter Hogan’s side lost 1-0 to Glenamaddy Community College from Galway in the FAI Schools Junior B Boys National Cup semi-finals at the University of Limerick. 

An MICC squad made up entirely of West Cork Schoolboys League players did their school and region proud by producing another terrific display in what has been a hugely productive campaign for the West Cork school.

MICC’s path to the last four of the National Cup began with a difficult away trip to Crosshaven CCC in the opening round of the Munster B Trophy competition. Ethan O’Connor, Darragh Kelly, Aaron O’Driscoll and Cathal Duggan strikes secured a 4-1 victory and set-up another tie away from home against Midleton in round two. Down 2-0 at the break, Kevin Coughlan’s long-range thunderbolt began an MICC comeback that ended with Aaron O’Driscoll converting two penalties in a superb 3-2 triumph. 

Limerick IT’s astro-turf facility played host to MICC and Thomond Community College’s semi-final in which the Dunmanway-based school were 1-0 down heading into the final minute. A last-gasp Aaron O’Donovan header took the tie to extra-time before Thomond retook the lead. Once again MICC dug deep and Robbie Lucey set-up Cian Hurley for a (second) late equaliser. The Dunmanway school kept their cool in the ensuing penalty shootout, winning 4-2 to qualify for a Munster Junior B decider against Cobh CC.

MICC broke the deadlock in the final with Alan Crowley finishing off a flowing move that began with goalkeeper Stephen Daly at the opposite end of the pitch. Cobh struck back however, converting a penalty to send the sides in level 1-1 at the break.

The West Cork school were under pressure for much of the second half until Cobh’s goalkeeper was sent off with half an hour to go. MICC took full advantage when Kieran Forbes came off the bench to edge his side 2-1 in front. Worse was to follow for MICC’s opponents when another player saw red prior to Alan Crowley netting late on and putting the seal on a fantastic 3-1 Munster Championship win.

So, Ter Hogan’s side were in bonus territory when they kicked off their National semi-final against Glenamaddy last weekend. Playing on a fast astro-turf surface, the Dunmanway side went close to opening the scoring when Alan Crowley wriggled free and missed the target by inches. 

Ethan O’Connor, Darragh Kelly and Robbie Lucey each spurned opportunities to edge their team in front but failure to find the net was punished when Glenamaddy scored from their first proper attack of the game.

Play became stretched throughout the second period but MICC were unable to find an equaliser and bowed out of the FAI Schools’ competition with their heads held high.

The MICC squad included Stephen Daly, Aaron O’Donovan, Aaron O’Driscoll, Alan Crowley, Cian Hurley, Robbie Lucey, , Darragh Kelly, Ethan O’Connor, Jack Forbes, Joseph Collins, Kevin Coughlan (captain), Luke Hurley, Kieran Forbes, Darragh Collins, Micháel Collins, Connor O’Connell, Conor O’Neill, Darragh Hayes, David O’Regan and Cathal Duggan.

Share this article