Southern Star Ltd. logo

Late Daly goal seals Colum's win

October 11th, 2017 1:00 PM

By Southern Star Team

Late Daly goal seals Colum's win Image
Celebrations: St Colum's players and supporters after their Carbery junior C football final win.

Share this article

A late Michael Day goal was enough to secure St Colum's a second successive Rowa/Rowex South West junior C football championship with a four-point win against O'Donovan Rossa in Skibbereen.

St Colum’s 1-10 

O’Donovan Rossa 0-9 




A LATE Michael Day goal was enough to secure St Colum’s a second successive Rowa/Rowex South West junior C football championship with a four-point win against O’Donovan Rossa in Skibbereen.

The teams swapped early scores and were tied at 0-3 apiece at the end of the first quarter – Eoin O’Connell scored three times for Skibb while Tim O’Sullivan (2) and Wesley O’Connor scored for Colum’s.

The midfield battle between Rossas’ David O’Keefe and Niall McCarthy and Colum’s Adrian O’Connor and Wesley O’Connor were a feature of this contest.

After Shane McCarthy and Tim O’Sullivan nudged Colum’s two points ahead, Eoin O’Connell replied for Skibb to level the game, and after he converted a free to edge his team in front, Tim O’Sullivan converted a close-range free to tie the scores at the break, 0-6 apiece.

The second half began like the first ended, plenty of attacking threat from both sides. Tim O’Sullivan pointed for a fifth time for St Colum’s and that was immediately followed with a second score of the day for Shane McCarthy. Eoin O’Connell responded with his and Skibb’s seventh point (0-8 to 0-7). 

Full back Denis O’Regan, Ross Fitzgerald, Billy Long and Rory O’Donovan were coming into it for O’Donovan Rossa as O’Connell drew the sides level again with a free. 

After Colum’s forward Gavin Dineen edged them back in front on 42 minutes, O’Donovan Rossa were dealt a blow when Niall McCarthy was black carded on 45 minutes but that black quickly turned to red after questioning the referee over the decision. 

O’Connell then kicked his ninth of the game but the last ten minutes would see St Colum’s take control. 

Half back Seamus McHugh found himself in space around 30 yards and he put Colum’s one in front (0-10 to 0-9).

Skibb were then reduced to 13 men when Shane Crowley Snr was sent off with minutes left.

St Colum’s put the game to bed with the last play of the game with Michael Daly racing in from the left wing to bury his shot past Skibbereen goalkeeper Christy Hodnett.



St Colum’s: Tim O’Sullivan 0-5 (2f), Shane McCarthy 0-2, Michael Daly 1-0, Wesley O’Connor, Seamus McHugh, Gavin Dineen 0-1 each. 

O’Donovan Rossa: Eoin O’Connell 0-9 (5f).


St Colum’s: Paul McCarthy; Pat Daly, Aidan Harrington, Joe O’Hallaron; Seamus McGrath, Proinsias Cronin, James Murphy; Wesley O’Connor, Adrian O’Connor; Shane McCarthy, Ger O’Sullivan, Martin Coppinger; Gavin Dineen, Tim O’Sullivan, Michael O’Connell.

Subs: Martin Cronin for P Cronin, Michael O’Sullivan for J Murphy, Michael Daly for G Dineen.

O’Donovan Rossa: Christy Hodnett; Ross Fitzgerald, Denis O’Regan, Martin Bohane; Gary O’Donovan, Kevin Cotter, Michael Coakley; David O’Keefe, Niall McCarthy Snr; Billy Long, Shane Crowley Snr, Stephen Cotter; Don Hayes, Eoin O’Connell, Rory O’Donovan.

Subs: Podge O’Neill for D O’Keefe, Noel Collins for D Hayes, Colin Newman for S Cotter.

Referee: Frank Quill (Bantry Blues).

Share this article