Southern Star Ltd. logo

Kinsale ladies through to All-Ireland football final

November 19th, 2017 6:08 PM

By Southern Star Team

Kinsale ladies through to All-Ireland football final Image

Share this article

West Cork women hold their nerve to book their place in intermediate decider

Kinsale 0-18

Maigh Cuilinn (Galway) 2-11

By Denis Hurley in Kinsale

KINSALE survived a late fightback from their visitors Maigh Cuilinn of Galway to hold on for victory in Sunday's All-Ireland ladies' club IFC semi-final.

The home side, who were beaten junior finalists last year, looked comfortable when Faye Ahern's third point made it 0-18 to 1-9 in the first minute of injury time but Maigh Cuilinn refused to yield.

After a shot from Áine Ní Dhonnchadha flew over the bar, Molly Ní Eidhín got her fifth point and then Ní Dhonnchadha's long-range effort found the top corner to leave just a point on it.

Extra-time loomed but resolute Kinsale defending ensured that no opportunity for an equaliser was allowed, sending them into the final in a fortnight.

Cork star Orla Finn was excellent as Kinsale took charge in the first half, scoring five points as they moved into a 0-7 to 0-3 lead by the end of the first quarter.

Centre-forward Jenny Murphy was a driving force for Kinsale while Georgia Gould impressed at wing-back but Maigh Cuilinn got themselves back in contention when Evvie Ní Leamhná netted following good work from Catherine Ní Chonnaire.

When Katie Ní Artúir pointed, the sides were level but Kinsale finished the half strongly. Ellen Murphy, Faye Ahern and Finn on were target as they led by 0-12 to 1-5 at half-time, though they needed goalkeeper Aisling Judge to save well from Molly Ní Eidhín.

Nic Dhonnchadha had a free for Maigh Cuilinn early in the second half but Kinsale were always able to response captain Aoife Keating and Sadhbh O'Leary with scores, and they looked safe when they held a 0-15 to 1-8 lead on 47, with Maigh Cuilinn down to 14 due to a yellow card. Ní Eidhín did reduce the gap while Finn hit the bar for Kinsale before points from Ahern and Jenny Murphy.

Ní Artúir had a shot fly across the Kinsale goal and the outcome looked decided when Kinsale moved six clear. Maigh Cuilinn tested that theory, but Kinsale held out.

Scorers for Kinsale: O Finn 0-8 (0-5 frees), S O'Leary, F Ahern 0-3 each, J Murphy 0-2, E Murphy, A Keating 0-1 each.

Scorers for Maigh Cuilinn: M Ní Eidhín 0-5 (0-2 frees), Á Nic Dhonnchadha 1-2 (0-1 free), E Ní Leamhná 1-0, K Ní Artúir 0-2, C Ní Chonnaire, S Ní Chéidigh 0-1 each.

KINSALE: A Judge; E O'Brien, A Lynch, C Keohane; T McCarthy, C O'Callaghan, G Gould; N Quinn, L Copithorne; E Murphy, J Murphy, F Ahern; S O'Leary, A Keating, O Finn.

Subs: A Lee for Keating (40), J Cronin for E Murphy (60), G Cronin for Judge (60, injured).

MAIGH CUILINN: R Ní Chonghaile; E Ní Mhaolaoidh, J Ní Eidhín, C de Lá; F Ní Fhartharta, L Ní Chorcráin, A Ní Chorcráin; E Ní Artúir, Á Nic Dhonnchadha; K Ní Artúir, A Ní Dhabhoráin, C Ní Chonnaire; M Ní Dhabhoráin, M Ní Eidhín, E Ní Leamhná.

Subs: S Ní Chéidigh for M Ní Dhabhoráin, E Ní Dhonnchú for Ní Mhaolaoidh (both half-time), E de Paor for Ní Leamhná (53).

Referee: N McCormack (Laois).

Share this article