Keane effort earns Newcestown draw

February 25th, 2018 1:00 PM

By Southern Star Team

On the run: Castlehaven's Shane Hurley on a solo run from Newcestown's Colm Dineen during the Kelleher Shield game at Newcestown. (Photo: Paddy Feen)

Share this article

CARTHACH Keane's injury-time equaliser earned Newcestown a draw at home to Castlehaven in Division 2 of the county football league.

Newcestown 0-11

Castlehaven 2-5




CARTHACH Keane’s injury-time equaliser earned Newcestown a draw at home to Castlehaven in Division 2 of the county football league.

Leading 0-7 to 1-3 at the break, Newcestown had a Mark Kelly first-half score chalked off by the match official before Castlehaven edged in front thanks to their second goal of the afternoon seven minutes after the restart. 

Two points clear in the closing stages, the Haven’s Chris Hayes was a denied a third goal by a superb Christopher White save before Mark Kelly reduced the score to the bare minimum.

Three minutes into injury-time, Newcestown patiently worked the ball to Cárthach Keane who turned a defender and split the posts with the final kick of the game. 

A draw was a fair result considering the efforts of two committed teams in a league game that will stand to both ahead of their upcoming Cork SFC ties.

Newcestown blitzed their West Cork opponents with four unanswered scores during an impressive opening quarter as Cárthach Keane, Colm Dineen, Tadgh Twomey and Mark Kelly raised consecutive white flags.

Mark Collins got Castlehaven off the mark from a free before setting up Cathal Maguire for a second point. Newcestown responded with Mark Kelly, Colm Dineen (free) and Cárthach Keane finding their range to make it 0-7 to 0-2.

But the Haven finished the opening period strongly, Chris Hayes finding Mark Collins who punched over the crossbar before the same two players combined for Collins to fire into the net.

Cárthach Keane put Newcestown 0-8 to 1-3 in front immediately after the restart but Castlehaven struck back five minutes later, Cathal Maguire netting a fine goal to edge the Haven ahead.

Conor Cahalane and Mark Collins (free) made it a three-point game before Mark Kelly and a Colm Dineen free brought the hosts back to within one point. Cárthach Keane’s injury-time leveller was the last action of an entertaining clash.



Newcestown: Cárthach Keane 0-4, Mark Kelly 0-3, Colm Dineen 0-3 (2f), Tadgh Twomey 0-1.

Castlehaven: Mark Collins 1-3 (2f), Cathal Maguire 1-1, Conor Cahalane 0-1.

Newcestown: Christopher White; Mark Courtney, Cian Twomey (captain), Eoin Kelly; Trevor Horgan, Fionn Keane, Conor O’Neill; Gearoid O’Donovan, Mark Kelly; Micheál McSweeney, Cárthach Keane, Rick Bradfield, Colm Dineen, Tadgh Twomey, Sean Ryan.

Subs: Sean O’Donovan for T Horgan (43), James Kelleher for M Courtney (45, inj), Murt Kennelly for T Twomey (47), Neill Murray for S Ryan (50).

Castlehaven: Colm O’Driscoll; John O’Regan, Ronan Walsh, Tomás O’Leary; Shane Hurley, Roland Whelton, Patrick O’Brien; Jamie Walsh, David Limrick; Conor Cahalane, Chris Hayes, Cathal Maguire; Conor O’Driscoll, Mark Collins (captain), Patrick Bohane.

Subs: Ciarán O’Sullivan for T O’Leary (ht), Shane Nolan for P Bohane (ht), Conor Nolan for R Whelton (45).

Referee: Michael O’Leary (Diarmuid Ó Mathúnas).

Share this article