THE annual Skipper Fisherman of the Year competition was held recently at the Castletownbere Festival of the Sea 2016.
Fishermen from Cork, Dublin and Cornwall battled it out across a range of challenges to claim the coveted title.
The challenges included:
• Net Mending sponsored by Swan Net Gundry’s
• Line Throwing sponsored by Twomey’s Bar
• Wire Splicing sponsored by O’Shea’s Bar
• Fish filleting sponsored by Castletownbere Fisherman’s Co Op
• Survival suit sponsored by Sheehan’s Fishing
Guest judge, fishmonger Pat O’Connell of the English Market in Cork, presented overall winner Noel O’Sullivan from Castletownbere with the handmade wooden perpetual trophy designed and produced locally by Chart Datum.