News

Machines back on site for Bandon's flood scheme

May 9th, 2017 2:25 PM

By Kieran O'Mahony

Deputy Jim Daly at the Bandon site with project manager WilliamTrehy, earlier this week. Work has begun again.

Share this article

FOLLOWING a three-week hiatus on works to the Bandon Flood Relief Scheme, the machines were back working in the river earlier this week. 

Talks between the OPW and the contractors, Wills Bros, concluded successfully last Thursday.

The intense negotiations took place to resolve what were described as ‘contractual issues’ which saw work on the multimillion euro scheme grind to a halt. 

A spokesperson for Wills Bros said their sole focus now is to get on with the job, as per the original schedule.

‘We are very appreciative of the patience and understanding shown by the people of Bandon during the past three weeks, and we are glad to be back on track with the works,’ they added.

At a meeting of Bandon Kinsale Municipal District last Friday in Cork’s County Hall, councillors welcomed the news but criticised the lack of information regarding the reasons for the stoppage.

Cllr James O’Donovan (FG) said that they, as local councillors, would like to know what the issue was about, while Cllr Kevin Murphy (FG) said they should demand monthly reports on the scheme.

Cllr Rachel McCarthy (SF) said the lack of information about the scheme was ‘frustrating.’ ‘We, as councillors, are still in the firing line from members of the public and, as a bit of respect to us as elected members, it would be nice to get updates and information on the scheme,’ said Cllr McCarthy.  Cllr Gillian Coughlan said ‘the gloom has lifted over Bandon’ and she said she hoped ‘corners won’t be cut’ and that the full scheme will now go ahead.

 

Share this article


Related content

Subscribe

to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.