Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • News

West Cork’s worst roads share €500k

Thursday, 16th February, 2017 11:55am

Story by Jackie Keogh
West Cork’s worst roads share €500k

Michael Collins TD

West Cork’s worst roads share €500k

Michael Collins TD

OVER €500,000 has been made available by the Department of Transport to repair some of West Cork’s most dilapidated roads.

The announcement, which was made recently, came just 13 days after West Cork public representatives travelled to the Oireachtas in Dublin for a meeting with the Transport Minister Shane Ross TD on January 11th last.

The meeting, which was organised by the Cork South West TD Michael Collins (Ind), heard the Department will provide enough funding to carry out urgent road repair works in 12 locations throughout West Cork.

Deputy Collins told The Southern Star that the €500,000 funding will be ‘in addition’ to the money Cork County Council will be spending on regional road works this year.

Deputy Collins said: ‘The funding will help to improve our road network, enhance road safety, and support job growth by improving road infrastructure in West Cork.’

The Goleen deputy has  pledged to continue to campaign for improvements to the road infrastructure in West Cork and said he looked forward to Minister Ross’s visit to West Cork in six months time to inspect the work, which is scheduled to be completed by June 2017.

Under the funding announced the sum of €25,000 has been allocated for the R586 Ilen Bridge; €25,000 for the R595 Old Court, Skibbereen to Baltimore; €50,000 for Bantry Culvert; €75,000 for Derreens Pipe Culvert (Skibbereen), €70,000 for Coolatooder Bridge (Bandon); €120,000 for Black Cross Bridge (Innishannon); €40,000 for Dromgarvan Bridge; €50,000 for the bad bend in Dromdeegy on the Togher to Poulnaberry bridge section of the R585; €20,000 for Hair pin Bends at Glanycarney, Cousane, Kealkil; €17,500 for School Road, Timoleague in the vicinity of Timoleague National School; €5,000 for Hospital Road, Bantry; and €30,000 for the Hospital Junction at Carrignagat, Bantry. 

Fine Gael TD for Cork South West, Jim Daly, also welcomed the announcement, which is part of a €36 million euro package for roads throughout Cork County.

Deputy Daly said he was happy to report that good progress is being made on design works to improve the bad bends at Owenahincha cross, following on from efforts of delegations by myself and Cllr Noel O’Donovan to Ministers Leo Varadkar and Paschal Donohoe over that past number of years. 

He also noted that the funding represents a 9% increase on last year’s allocation.

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with a Southern Star epaper subscription. Click here for more