Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We donít sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • Sport

Garnish complete the Beara junior A football three-in-a-row

Sunday, 19th August, 2018 8:41am
Garnish complete the Beara junior A football three-in-a-row

Urhan's Martin McCarthy is challenged by Joe Harrington of Garnish during the Beara JAFC final at Adrigole on Saturday evening.

Garnish 0-11

Urhan 0-7


WINTER is coming – judging by the weather in Adrigole on Saturday night – and Garnish are still number one in Beara junior football.

The reigning champions completed the Beara JAFC three-in-a-row on Saturday night, inspired by man-of-the-match Brian Terry O’Sullivan in the middle of the park, who was closely followed by the impressive Jack O’Sullivan.

Physically stronger than Urhan, Garnish coped better with the wind and rain, especially in the second half. Points from Paul O’Neill (three frees), Fintan O’Sullivan (3) and a superb Sean Terry O’Sullivan effort helped Garnish, who had the wind at their backs, lead 0-7 to 0-4 at the break, with Concubhur Harrington and Jamie O’Neill keeping Urhan in touch.

Garnish grew stronger in the second half and outscored Urhan by four points to three, and never looked like conceding the goal that Urhan needed to drag themselves back into the game.

Again, it was Fintan O’Sullivan (3) and Sean Terry that worked the scoreboard, and while Jamie O’Neill (2) and Concubhur Harrington kept Urhan in touch, they struggled to make headway against a stubborn Garnish defence.

Brian Terry did see red for a second yellow in the ten minutes of injury time played, but it mattered little, his work was done, as was Garnish’s, deserving winners.



Garnish: Fintan O’Sullivan 0-6 (4f), Paul O’Neill 0-3 (3f), Sean T O’Sullivan 0-2.

Urhan: Concubhur Harrington (1f), Jamie O’Neill (2f) 0-3 each, Conor Lowney 0-1f.

Garnish: Martin O’Sullivan; Dara Henshaw, Eanna Murphy, Brian Walsh; Hugh O’Sullivan, Joe Harrington, Jack O’Sullivan; Fintan O’Sullivan, Brian T O’Sullivan; Gary O’Sullivan, Paul O’Neill, Sean T O’Sullivan; Sean Henshaw, Finbarr Sheehan, Dean Henshaw.

Subs: David Harrington for G O’Sullivan (ht), Paul Murphy for S Henshaw (41), Ross Murphy for Jack O’Sullivan (60), Cormac O’Neill for F O’Sullivan (60).

Urhan: Diarmuid O’Sullivan; Danny O’Neill, Aidan O’Neill, Daniel Elphick; Eamonn O’Shea, Cormac O’Shea, Ciarán O’Sullivan; Dan Dwyer, Conor Lowney; Dave McCarthy, Martin McCarthy, Alan O’Donoghue; Concubhur Harrington, James Healy, Jamie O’Neill.

Subs: Cillian O’Shea for D McCarthy (36), Martin O’Neill for Alan O’Donoghue (42), Conor O’Sullivan for J Healy (48), Enda Lowney for C O’Sullivan (60, inj).

Referee: Martin Hegarty (Castletownbere).