Haven made fight for victory

April 22nd, 2018 1:00 PM

By Southern Star Team

Push off: Castlehaven's Conor O'Driscoll holds off the challenge of Dohenys' Jerry Farrell.

Share this article

Cahalane shines as Haven beat Dohenys in SFC for the first time

Cahalane shines as Haven beat Dohenys in SFC for the first time


Castlehaven 2-15   

Dohenys 2-10



FAVOURITES Castlehaven were made to fight before beating a game Dohenys side in this SFC clash at Rosscarbery.

The Haven did the damage in the first quarter, opening up a 1-5 to 0-1 lead, but thereafter they were outscored by the young Dohenys, who conceded weight and size and had to line out without the injured Mark Buckley.

The Haven looked a team of all talents in that opening quarter, with Michael Hurley and Conor O’Driscoll in scintillating form. O’Driscoll goaled in the sixth minute, set up by Hurley, and they could have registered another three goals but the Dunmanway side didn’t let them sear out of sight.

‘It was a good, hard win,’ said Haven manager Liam Collins.

‘We have never beaten Dohenys in championship before, so this was a first for us. We knew coming here today we’d have a serious game on our hands if we were to come out on top.

‘But our training went well, we feel we have good quality in our panel and we needed it out there as there was a few injuries, and a few cramped at the end. 

‘We had a great start but then we reverted to using the ball in a poor way. We had great possession but there was one more pass and if we had given that pass we would have got scores. We could have got more goals in the first half and if we had then we’d have been in a much more comfortable position.’

After O’Driscoll’s goal, it was all Haven and the points flowed from O’Driscoll (two), Mark Collins and Conor Cahalane. Physically stronger and looking much more experienced, they were threatening to make this game a non-event.

However, Fionn Herlihy began the Dohenys comeback with a point before Haven goalkeeper Colm O’Driscoll did well to divert a Pa McCarthy shot over the crossbar, injuring himself in the process. 

The game was back in the melting pot in the 28th minute when corner back Barry O’Donovan and Cathal O’Donovan combined to set up Jack O’Connell for a Doheny goal.

Only two points in arrears, Dohenys were dealt a blow when Barry O’Donovan was black-carded and the Haven finished the half with points from Mark Collins and Conor Cahalane to leave it 1-7 to 1-3, though Dohenys had the breeze to come.

Dohenys signalled their intention after the break with two pointed frees from Jamie Carroll but David Limrick kicked a vital point in response for the Haven. Just as Dohenys’ challenge was gathering pace they suffered a real set-back as the Haven reeled off a quick 1-2 without reply, the goal coming from the lethal O’Driscoll and the points from Conor Cahalane.

That made it 2-10 to 1-5 but Dohenys refused to wilt. With Herlihy leading the way with two points they began to pile on the pressure but the experienced Mark Collins answered with two of his own. Dohenys had to absorb another blow in the 46th minute when Johnny Kelly was black-carded but still they kept trying and they won a penalty when Cullen Barry was fouled for a penalty, which Jerry McCarthy netted.

There were now five points between the sides with ten minutes left and the sides traded points from there, the Haven still ahead a the end.

‘We’re in the process of building a team and we proved we’re on the right track tonight. We’ll take it from here now,’ said Dohenys mentor Brian Herlihy.



Castlehaven: Conor O’Driscoll 2-2, Conor Cahalane 0-6, Mark Collins 0-4 (2f), Michael Hurley, David Limrick, Conor Nolan 0-1 each. 

Dohenys: Fionn Herlihy 0-4 (2f), Jack O’Connell, Jerry McCarthy (penalty) 1-0 each, Jamie Carroll 0-3 (f), Patrick McCarthy 0-2, Keith White 0-1.

Castlehaven: Colm O’Driscoll; Johnny O’Regan, Ronan Walsh, Ciarán O’Sullivan; Cathal Maguire, Damien Cahalane, Shane Hurley; David Limrick, Jamie Walsh; Conor Cahalane, Chris Hayes, Roland Whelton; Conor O’Driscoll, Mark Collins, Michael Hurley.

Subs: Anthony Seymour for O’Driscoll (22, injured), Conor Nolan for O’Regan (half-time), Darragh Cahalane for Whelton (44), Patrick O’Brien for Shane Hurley (60).

Dohenys: Darren Fraser; Barry O’Donovan, Seán Daly, Jerry Farrell; Declan Collins, Eoin Lavers, Donal Rice; Niall Hurley, Johnny Kelly; Declan O’Dwyer, Patrick McCarthy, Jerry McCarthy; Jamie Carroll, Jack O’Connell, Fionn Herlihy. 

Subs: Cathal O’Donovan for O’Dwyer (10, injured), Eoin Murray for Barry O’Donovan (29, black card), Cullen Barry for Kelly (47, black), Keith White for Cathal O’Donovan (57). 

Referee: Cormac Dineen (Douglas).

Share this article

Related content