Coakley shines and O’Gorman sizzles for red-hot Kilbree hurlers

August 12th, 2020 8:45 AM

By Southern Star Team

Kilbree’s Darragh Coakley squeezes through a Newcestown barricade fronted by Mark Shorten and aided by Eoghan Collins and Murt Kenneally during their Carbery JAHC tie.

Share this article

Kilbree 5-22

Newcestown 0-10


AS the sun shone on Enniskeane, Kilbree sparkled. Having received a bye in Round 1, Kilbree were keen to get their Carbery RCM Tarmacadam JAHC campaign underway – and they did so in style with this 27-point win.

It must be pointed out too that Newcestown were down eight players from their Round 1 one-point defeat by St Mary’s.

Inside the first few minutes a Podge Collins free gave Newcestown the lead that was cancelled out almost immediately by a Jonathan Deasy point from inside his own half. Andrew Shorten and Conor Goggin put Newcestown ahead once more as Kilbree struggled to find fluidity.

Gradually though they found each other with telling effect, going 1-4 to 0-3 up by the water break as the impressive Damien O’Gorman claimed the first of his three goals and an influential Darragh Coakley slotted over valuable points. That improvement was echoed by team boss Timmy O’Brien.

‘It took us a while to get into it. Championship matches are much different to challenge matches and Newcestown had that sharpness,’ he said.

Within seconds of the water break Kilbree increased their new-found dominance but Newcestown’s cause was further exacerbated as they were forced to switch goalkeeper Kieran Kelly to corner back due to an injury to full back Christopher White with sub Timmy O’Sullivan filling in between the posts. Another O’Gorman goal near the stroke of half time saw Newcestown trail 2-8 to 0-5 at the break.

On the resumption, Kilbree, with Coakley, the architect around midfield and almost unerring on frees, pulled clear. Within ten minutes of the re-start Kilbree were 3-11 to 0-6 ahead as sub Joseph O’Donovan scored one and subsequently another (after the water break) to push Kilbree 4-13 to 0-6 in front.

Podge Collins’ free-taking expertise meant that some scores fell for Newcestown. O’Gorman completed his three-goal feat – along with tacking on four points – but by that point Kilbree were already sailing into the next round.

A pleased Timmy O’Brien added: ‘I can’t be anything but happy. All the team played well and we should have some of the others that were out injured back next time. After the first water break we found our rhythm and we kept the board ticking over.’



Kilbree: D O’Gorman 3-4; D Coakley 0-10 (7f, 1 65); J O’Donovan 2-0; K Keohane 0-2; J Deasy, T Tyner, G McCarthy, S O’Donovan 0-1 each. Newcestown: P Collins 0-6 (6f); A Shorten, C Goggin, E Collins, R Bradfield 0-1 each.

Kilbree: William Tyner; Brian Keohane, Liam O’Brien, Sean Deasy; Jonathan Deasy, Brian Donovan, John Clancy; Kevin Keohane, Ray Collins; Darragh Coakley, Gearoid McCarthy, Damien O’Gorman; Shane Scannell, Thomas Tyner, Shane O’Donovan. Subs: Darren Santry for Shane O’Donovan, Brian Deasy for Jonathan Deasy; Joseph O’Donovan for Shane Scannell; Sean Murray for Ray Collins; James Clancy for Gearoid McCarthy.

Newcestown: Kieran Kelly; Darragh Buttimer, Christopher White, Mark Shorten; Cathal Clarke, Eoghan Collins, Gerard Murphy; Rick Bradfield, Murt Kenneally; Podge Collins, Andrew Shorten, Conor Goggin; Daire McAree, Darragh Curran, Gene Courtney. Subs: Timmy O’Sullivan for Christopher White, Timmy Coughlan for Cathal Clarke.

Referee: Michael O’Leary (Diarmuid Ó Mathunas).

Share this article

Related content