WORK on the €15.8m Skibbereen Flood Relief Scheme is to begin within weeks, following the signing of a contract between Cork County Council and Jons Civil Engineering in Skibbereen earlier this week.
Meanwhile, it has also been confirmed by Fine Gael TD Jim Daly that a contractor is set to be appointed for the €25m Bandon Flood Relief Scheme this week.
There was also good news for Clonakilty, with the contract for the town’s long-awaited Flood Relief Scheme going to tender later this year and a contractor to be appointed in early 2017.
Minister of State with responsibility for the OPW, Sean Canney (Ind), visited Skibbereen for the signing of the contract this week. Speaking at The Southern Star offices on Tuesday, he said that people can expect to see some ‘tangible results’ within weeks as the contractors are now in place.
‘The process has been completed, the contracts have been signed, and it’s a matter of getting on with the works. It will probably take nearly two-and-a-half years to get the whole scheme completed, but at the end of the process, there will be flood defences, better drainage and hopefully a method of actually alleviating flooding as it comes,’ said Minister Canney.
‘It has been a long journey but it is now coming to fruition and it has been designed in a way to alleviate flooding and to provide as much comfort and to protect about 180 houses as a result of these works.’
This substantial construction project is a significant milestone for Skibbereen and will deliver flood risk alleviation measures for the town. The works include the construction of approximately 7.5km of flood defences by way of earthen flood embankments, reinforced concrete walls, storm water pumping stations, culverts and other ancillary drainage works.
Mr Canney also acknowledged the great efforts of local public representative and community groups in helping to advance these schemes.
Independent TD for Cork South West, Michael Collins praised the work and effort of the Skibbereen Flood Relief Committee in pushing for the scheme and never giving up.
‘They worked away the whole time and they were always in contact with politicians and public representatives. They never lost the head, and credit is due to them for their work,’ said Deputy Collins.
Deputy County Mayor, Cllr Joe Carroll, also welcomed the progression of the scheme.
‘This scheme is a great example of what can be achieved through collaboration. Cork County Council and the OPW have done a great job to bring the scheme to construction stage and for this the people of Skibbereen are very grateful,’ said Cllr Carroll.
The news that a contractor is to be appointed for the Bandon Flood Relief Scheme this week was confirmed by Deputy Jim Daly, following the signing of the Skibbereen Flood Relief Scheme this week.
‘I am delighted that these schemes are now going ahead and that the Clonakilty scheme is at an advanced stage. These three schemes have been an absolute priority for me and my government colleagues over the past five years,’ said Deputy Daly.
‘It is an historic day for the town of Skibbereen and I expect a similar historic day for Bandon in the coming week,’ he added.