Man bled to death at his home after stabbing

April 18th, 2019 11:55 AM

By Southern Star Team

Share this article

A 44-YEAR-old West Cork man bled to death after being stabbed several times in the abdomen at his home in Macroom late last year, an inquest into the man’s death heard.

Clonakilty native Timothy Foley died from haemorrhage and shock due to multiple stab wounds, the assistant state pathologist Dr Margot Bolster told an inquest into Mr Foley’s death.

Supt Joe Moore told South Cork coroner Frank O’Connell that gardaí in Macroom received a call at 1.40am on October 8th last that a man had been injured at his home at Dan Corkery Place in the town.

Gardai promptly proceeded to the house where they found Mr Foley seriously injured at the scene with paramedics working on him to try and stabilise his condition which was serious.

Paramedics continued to work on him but he was pronounced dead by a local GP, Dr Caroline Ward, at 3.04am and his body was later removed to Cork University Hospital for a post-mortem.

Supt Moore said that a person had since been charged with the murder of Mr Foley and had recently been returned for trial to the current sittings of the Central Criminal Court.

He applied under Section 25.2 of the Coroner’s Act to have the inquest adjourned to allow the criminal matter proceed and he told Mr O’Connell it may be May or June 2020 before the trial takes place.

Mr O’Connell granted the adjournment and said if the case went to a full hearing, leading to a conviction or acquittal, it was unlikely he would resume the inquest but he adjourned it for mention to 2020.

Last October, Rita O’Driscoll (46) of Bridge Street, Bandon was charged at Macroom District Court with the murder of her husband, Mr Foley.

Det Sgt Derek Mulcahy gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution and told the court that Ms O’Driscoll replied to the charge: ‘I did not kill my husband – I stabbed him twice, not 28 times.’

Ms O’Driscoll’s solicitor, Pat Horan told Judge Mary Dorgan on that occasion that his client would be pleading ‘not guilty’ to the charge and she was happy not to apply for bail as she felt safe in prison.

Share this article

Related content


to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.