THIS weekend will see the semi-final of Strictly Come Dancing Bantry taking place at the Westlodge Hotel, with an all-local line up of judges, which include local dance teacher Robin O’Donovan, Miss Bantry Abigail Harrington and local county councillor Danny Collins.
Audience members can support their favourite dancers by buying votes. The dance couples with the most votes, combined with judges’ scores will advance to the grand final on Saturday, March 16th. The three couples with the lowest combined judges’ scores and audience votes will kick-start the grand final with a spectacular ‘dance-off.’
The line-up of judges for the final show on 16th March, include Young Offenders star Demi Isaac Oviawe, fresh from her time on RTÉ’s Dancing with the Stars, joined by Gillian Harte, who together with dance partner Ger O’Brien, won Strictly Bantry 2018, and Siobhan Cronin, news editor of The Southern Star.
Proceeds from Strictly Bantry go to St Finbarr’s Boys’ National School and Brian Gleeson, school principal, who is the main driving force behind Strictly Bantry, said: ‘With the live shows about to take place, the excitement and build-up to this event has been unreal.
‘The initial response from the dancers was incredibly positive and the staff and Parents’ Association in the school, together with event co-ordinator Sandra Maybury, have worked tirelessly to bring it all together.’
Brian also commended the public’s response and thanked all those who support the school.
The Westlodge Hotel are main event sponsors for Strictly Come Dancing Bantry. Tickets for the semi-final, this Saturday, 9th, are now on sale at hotel reception.
The dancers taking part are:
• Becky O’Sullivan & John Cronin (Jive), sponsored by Perrin Inn, Glengarriff & Bantry Bay Premium Seafoods.
• Niamh O’ Driscoll & Eamonn Verhoeven (Foxtrot), sponsored by AIB Bantry & O’Keeffe’s SuperValu.
• Katie Murphy & Eoghan Minehane (Cha Cha Cha), sponsored by OB Woodcraft & Coom Construction.
• Jennifer Mullins & Liam Coakley (Waltz), sponsored by The Quay’s Bar & Organico.
• Rachel Sweetnam & Kevin Casey (Charleston), sponsored by Bantry Glass and Glazing, Lucey’s Bar & De Barra’s Restaurant.
• Sharon O’Reilly & Kevin O’Regan (Tango), sponsored by Bantry Dental & South of Ireland Petroleum.
• Karrie McCarthy & Brian Crowley (Rumba), sponsored by Bantry Bath & Tile & Maritime Hotel.
• Eva Sheedy & James Casey (Quickstep), sponsored by West Coast Foods & The Snug & OD’s Bar.
• Sandra O Shea & John O Brien (Lindy), sponsored by Kevin O’Donovan & Partners, Solicitor & Laide & O’Brien Ltd.
• Katie Coppinger & Eoghan Stephenson (Contemporary), sponsored by The Water School & Ma Murphy’s Pub.
• Shelly O’Driscoll & Phil Tessyman (Salsa), sponsored by O Connor’s Seafood Restaurant & Ross’s Bar, Durrus.