THE people of Ballydehob have responded in huge numbers to save their local post office.
As reported on the front page of last week’s Southern Star, postmistress Bridie Roycroft received an ‘exit offer’ from An Post. She pledged she would stay open but would need the community’s help to make that happen.
Since then, she said, she had been inundated with people coming in to open accounts and conduct other business.
‘I’ve been working twice as hard since I launched my campaign to save the post office, but I don’t care. I’m confident things will work out.’
Some 48 post offices throughout Cork have been offered the exit package and redundancy deal. In some cases, if exit offers are accepted, An Post will re-advertise the post office contract.
‘To the best of my knowledge though, and having spoken to my union, I don’t think that will be the case for Ballydehob because of its population of 278,’ said Bridie.
Her exit offer stands until July and it calls for the post office to be shut for October.
She renewed her invite to locals to attend a meeting she’s hosting in the Community Hall on Thursday, May 17th at 8.30pm.