News

‘Appalled' over used condoms at Bandon playground

January 24th, 2017 11:55 AM

By Kieran O'Mahony

The playground in Bandon on Wednesday morning: the condoms had been cleared away but the photo shows the equipment and seats need upgrading.

Share this article

A LOCAL councillor has said she was ‘appalled’ at the discovery of used condoms and their wrappers at Bandon playground this week.

The items were found by a parent who was visiting the facility with their child.

‘This was just dreadful and I have spoken with the foreman in Cork County Council and he has assured me that the playground and its environs are regularly swept. I also impressed on him the importance of this for the children and adults alike who are patrons of the facility,’ Cllr Coughlan told The Southern Star.

‘I place the responsibility with the people who left the facility in such a filthy state and it isn’t fair on Council employees to have to deal with such waste, either.’

A concerned parent called Kim took to social media this week to highlight her disgust at visiting the playground and finding ‘loads’ of condoms and wrappers there. She said she was disgusted and couldn’t believe it and left the playground immediately.

Ann Bambury, a mother of three young children from Bandon, was equally appalled on hearing Kim’s story.

Ann told The Southern Star that she stopped using the playground last summer, due to its dilapidated state and said it was ‘not fit for purpose’.

‘I’ve always had concerns about the facility – from the state of the playing equipment to the general upkeep of the area,’ said Ann.

‘I know loads of parents that don’t bring their children there anymore, and they go out of the town to visit playgrounds in the surrounding towns and villages which have better equipment.’ Ann said the playground needs an urgent makeover with which could brighten the place up.

‘I’m not expecting miracles, but this playground has to be fit for use,’ added Ann.

Safety issues were also highlighted by Ann as the facility is next to the Bandon River and she said that a child can easily open the gate leading to the river.

‘I have seen children open the gate on occasion and parents of small children would have to be on constant guard. A safety barrier should be put in place.’

Bandon-based Cllr James O’Donovan confirmed this week that plans for a new playground are already underway. 

‘Cork County Council are in the early stages of designing a new playground and they are working towards putting it in when works on the footbridge get underway as part of the town’s flood relief scheme,’ he told The Southern Star.

Cllr Rachel McCarthy said the current playground served the town well over its time, but that it was obvious that a major overhaul was now needed.

‘Cork County Council has committed to an overhaul of the facility, but it will have to wait until the completion of town’s flood relief scheme and the placement of a new footbridge before anything can happen,’ the SF Cllr said.

Share this article


Related content

Subscribe

to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.