Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • News

Local slams long wait for cable car to Dursey Island

Tuesday, 12th September, 2017 11:55am

Story by Jackie Keogh
Local slams long wait for cable car to Dursey Island

The cable car schedule.

Local slams long wait for cable car to Dursey Island

The cable car schedule.

A BEARA community activist has described as ‘scandalous’ the fact that the Dursey Cable Car was closed on Tuesday of last week at a time when there were 50 vehicles lined up in the car park.

Michael O’Sullivan, who is the chairman of the Older People’s Council, made a video, which he posted on Facebook, of the 53 cars and mini-buses belonging to locals and tourists hoping to take a ride on Ireland’s only cable car service.

Mr O’Sullivan acknowledged that the cable car might have been closed for lunch because the opening hours are still running on the winter schedule from 9am to 11am, from 2.30pm to 5pm and from 7pm to 8pm Mondays through to Saturday, with a slight variation to the Sunday operating hours.

He also acknowledged that Cork County Council is in the process of taking on four employees to run the service, but he was adamant that the unique facility ‘shouldn’t be closed for lunch.’ He maintains it should be operating from 8am until dusk without a lunch break on a daily basis.

‘You don’t have to be a mathematical genius to work out the demand given that the cable car only takes six people at any one time, and 20 minutes to make the crossing over and back to Dursey Island. As it is, the wait is too long.’

Mr O’Sullivan said: ‘This would not be allowed to happen in Kerry, would it? Doesn’t the Council realise that B&B owners are being heavily criticised by guests who go to Dursey Sound hoping to get the cable car only to find they can’t get on to the island?

‘Tourists have itineraries and for them to be told that can’t use the service is ludicrous.’

Stay up-to-date with the latest West Cork news with a Southern Star digital subscription on your phone, tablet or computer. Click here for more.