File on Bandon mans killing going to DPP

November 3rd, 2015 11:55 AM

By Southern Star Team

Graham Johnson who was killed in Cork Prison.

Share this article

GARDAI investigating the fatal stabbing of a West Cork man at Cork Prison earlier this year are to send a file on the killing to the DDP within the next fortnight, the man’s inquest heard.

Graham Johnson from Ardan in Bandon died from a single stab wound to the chest when he was attacked in the kitchen area of Cork Prison on May 16th last, an inquest in Cork was told. Mr Johnson (39) a father of three, was serving a five-year sentence at the prison for robbery and larceny when he was stabbed to death during a row in the kitchen.

Last week at Cork City Coroner’s Court at the Washington Street, Det Insp Declan O’Sullivan said that a file on the killing is almost complete and will be sent to the DPP within the next fortnight. Det Insp O’Sullivan applied to have the inquest adjourned under Section 25 of the Coroners Act as criminal proceedings are contemplated in the matter.

Cork City Coroner, Dr Myra Cullinane granted the application and adjourned the inquest until April 28th next for mention before expressing her condolences to Mr Johnson’s family.

Detectives investigating Mr Graham’s killing arrested a 30 year old man at Cork Prison later in May and brought him to Mayfield Garda Station for questioning about the attack on Mr Johnson. The man was questioned for several hours before being later released without charge from garda custody and returned to Cork Prison where he is currently serving a sentence.

It’s understood that Mr Johnson was injured when a row broke out in the kitchen area over a TV remote control and what was being shown on the television in the kitchen.

It’s understood that one man wanted to watch horse racing on television while the other man wanted to watch Steven Gerrard’s last game for Liverpool before departing for the US.

Mr Johnson was due for release next year from prison after he was given a five year jail term with one year suspended in November 2011 for robbery and larceny offences. He had been given temporary release at Christmas by the prison authorities but had returned to Cork Prison following an incident in West Cork to finish out the remainder of his sentence.

Mr Johnson, who had worked in the construction sector, had pleaded guilty to robbery and larceny when he appeared before Judge Patrick Moran at Cork Circuit Criminal Court in 2011.

On that occasion, the court was told Mr Johnson had stolen €15,000 from his employer and later held up staff at a gold shop in Mallow, an armed robbery to feed a chronic gambling addiction.

Share this article

Related content


to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.