BY BRIAN MOORE
EVERYBODY should sign up for a CPR course, especially if you live in a rural area.
That's the message from Dan Hourihane, chairman of Kilmacabea GAA Club, after a potentially fatal cardiac incident at the club.
A member of the Kilmacabea support team suddenly collapsed in the club's dressing room at half-time, during an under 10 game between Kilmacabea and Clann na nGael recently.
âThe incident happened about 7pm on Tuesday, June 27th. As one club member administered CPR, another rushed and got our defibrillator. There were also two nurses who were with the Clann na nGael team on hand and as soon as the causality was shocked, a pulse was detected and he was put into the recovery position.
âWe have had the defibrillator for over three years now and there are 24 members of the club that are trained up in CPR and in its use.'
Another stroke of luck that evening was the proximity of the emergency services to the clubhouse. âThe ambulance took only about eight minutes to get to us because it was in the area at the time,' Dan continued. âWhen they arrived they stabilised the casualty and took him to Cork University Hospital. We are delighted to hear that he is doing well and we wish him all the best and look forward to seeing him back at the club soon.'
There are two defibrillators in the Leap area, one at the GAA club and another at the Hall in the village.
âWe are all very proud of our members who stayed calm and relied on their training,' Dan said. âThey took charge and, without doubt, saved the casualty's life. We got lucky; not only do we have people trained and ready to respond with the defibrillator, we had two trained nurses at the clubhouse that night and the ambulance wasn't far away.Â
âIt is on a night such as that that the training and the dedication pays off. We will be ensuring that even more of our members are trained and that we are up-to-date with all the latest procedures.Â
âShould something like this happen again our club members will be ready to help.'