THE Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that a total of 4 people with Covid-19 have died.
There have now been a total 1,683 Covid-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Sunday 7 June the HPSC has been notified of 9 confirmed cases of Covid-19. There is now a total of 25,207* confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
Today’s data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Saturday 6 June (25,198 cases), reveals:
· 57% are female and 43% are male
· the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
· 3,322 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
· Of those hospitalised, 411 cases have been admitted to ICU
· 8,073 cases are associated with healthcare workers
· Dublin has the highest number of cases at 12,158 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,529 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,423 cases (6%)
· Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 39%, close contact accounts for 59%, travel abroad accounts for 2%
Dr Tony Holohan, chief medical officer, Department of Health, said: ‘It has been 100 days since we reported our first case of Covid-19. Since then, it has been the collective effort of our health service and general public that has limited the spread of the virus. As we enter Phase 2, it is vital to keep up a compliance with public health advice.’
Dr Ronan Glynn, deputy chief medical officer, Department of Health, said: ‘Last week there were 16 clusters notified in private houses. If you or someone in your household experiences ‘flu like symptoms – a cough, temperature, shortness of breath or a change in taste in smell – please do not adopt a wait and see approach – isolate and contact your GP without delay.’
Dr Siobhán Ni Bhriain, consultant psychiatrist and HSE integrated care lead, said: ‘A growing majority (62%) of adults feel that the worst of the pandemic is behind us. This is not a guarantee and especially so if public health behaviours are not adopted by all of us. Decision making on an individual level, particularly around socialising and crowd participation, is required of all of us in this new phase of restrictions.’
Research conducted on behalf of the Department of Health shows that a growing majority of adults (62%) feel that the worst of the pandemic is behind us, with a decline in the number of people who think we are likely to see a second wave, falling from 63% at the end of May to 54% today.
The nationally representative sample of 1,800 conducted by the Department of Health reveals
· A fall in the percentage of adults ‘staying at home rather than going out’ now at 73% compared to 92% at the beginning of April
· Accompanied by a growing use of hand sanitiser, now at 88%, up from 63% in mid-March
*Validation of data at the HPSC has resulted in the denotification of 3 confirmed cases. The figure of 25,207 confirmed cases reflects this.
The Department of Health’s Covid-19 Information Dashboard (click here) provides the latest case information.
- To watch or listen to the Southern Star Coronavirus Podcast, please search Coronavirus Podcast at the top of this page or see the Southern Star on YouTube.
- You can subscribe to the Southern Star Coronavirus podcast which is available on YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, or wherever you get your podcasts.