Sarah's first RNLI call-out is rescue of yacht off Castlehaven

July 14th, 2017 12:13 PM

By Siobhan Cronin

Chris Collins, Sarah Browne and Stephen Hurley returning to base from the call-out from Union Hall RNLI on Thursday evening. This was Sarah's first call-out since joining the crew.

Share this article

UNION Hall RNLI came to the aid of a yacht with two people onboard yesterday evening, after the vessel got into difficulty half a mile east of Castlehaven harbour.

It was the first call-out for new Union Hall RNLI crew member Sarah Browne.

The volunteer lifeboat crew was alerted at 5.26pm by Valentia Coast Guard to reports of a yacht approximately 28ft in length that had got into difficulty after an object got tangled in its propeller. The lifeboat launched at 5.35pm, and within 10 minutes the crew members were on the scene.

Weather conditions at the time were good and the sea was calm, according to the RNLI.

Two whale watching boats – Voyager and Liscannor Star – stood by the casualty vessel until the lifeboat arrived. Upon arrival the volunteer crew thanked the vessels' crews for their assistance, and proceeded to work with the two men onboard to attach a towline to the boat.

The yacht was towed to the safety of Reen pier and tied up before the lifeboat returned to Union Hall, joined by a pod of dolphins!

Speaking following the call-out, Peter Deasy of Union Hall RNLI said: 'We were happy to assist the sailors this evening on what was the first call-out for our only female crew member, Sarah Browne. Our advice to all seafarers is to always respect the water. Always wear a lifejacket, carry a means of communication and let someone know what time you leave and what time you are due back. Should you get into difficulty, call 999 or 112 and ask for the Coast Guard.'

Share this article

Related content


to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.