• News

Oliver Plunkett Street to remain closed until March at the earliest.

Friday, 8th February, 2019 2:22pm

Story by Kieran O'Mahony
Oliver Plunkett  Street to remain closed until March at the earliest.

Pic: Denis Boyle

OLIVER Plunkett St in Bandon will not now open until March at the earliest, Cork County Council has said.

Referring to the collapse on the street, the Council said last week that it was in talks regarding properties at No 2 & 3 on the street.

'Cork County Council closed part of Oliver Plunkett, Bandon Street on December 11th because of concerns that the condition of privately owned buildings presented a serious risk to public safety,’ a statement said.

‘The road closure was a very important action that prevented falling debris from injuring people on the street, or travelling past in vehicles when part of the building subsequently collapsed onto the road.’

The Council says that since the incident on December 11th, when part of the buildings at Numbers 2 and 3 collapsed, the Council has worked with the property owners who are responsible for the buildings to ensure the area is safe and so that public access to roads and footpaths can be restored as early as possible.