Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • News

Deputy Daly ‘confident’ Seven Heads will be added to Wild Atlantic Way

Monday, 19th June, 2017 9:24am

Story by Siobhan Cronin
Deputy Daly ‘confident’ Seven Heads  will be added to Wild Atlantic Way

Jim Daly,TD.

A SMALL community’s powerful campaign to have its area included in the Wild Atlantic Way touring route looks set to bear fruit.

As reported in this paper last week, and earlier in 2014, the people of the Seven Heads peninsula, between Timoleague and Clonakilty, are angry that their picturesque peninsula is perfectly bypassed on the official Wild Atlantic Way maps. 

But this week Clonakilty-based Fine Gael TD Jim Daly told The Southern Star that he was optimistic that it would be included.

‘The Minister with responsibility for Tourism, Patrick O’Donovan has, at my request, met this week with the chief executive of Fáilte Ireland to make the case for the inclusion of the Seven Heads in the Wild Atlantic Way,’ said Deputy Daly.

Speaking after the meeting between the Minister and Fáilte Ireland boss Paul Kelly, Deputy Daly said he was ‘confident’ that the matter would be resolved. 

‘The Minister has informed me that he has requested the chief executive of Fáilte Ireland to get back to him within the next ten days regarding how they can have this matter rectified,’ he said this week. ‘I am hopeful of an early and positive outcome to this issue which will continue to enhance the offering available to tourists on the Wild Atlantic Way and further grow visitor numbers to the area.’

Deputy Daly went on to point out that this campaign, led by locals, was testament to the huge success of the Wild Atlantic Way as an initiative to draw tourists to this country. He paid tribute to the local community who highlighted the issue.

 ‘I am particularly grateful to my colleague Cllr John O’Sullivan who has raised this important issue with me on a number of occasions, and the other members of the committee,’ he added. ‘I sincerely hope we can ensure that this unique area can be included without delay.’

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with a Southern Star epaper subscription. Click here for more