Hammies bow out of Corn Uí Mhuirí

January 19th, 2018 3:00 PM

By Southern Star Team

The Bandon minor hurlers who received their medals at the Bandon Underage GAA Club medals presentation evening. Back from left, Dominic Collins (selector), Paul Lang, Dylan O'Donovan, Conor Walsh, Cian Burke, Tony Quinn, Oisin Doyle, Ben Donegan, Gavin O'Brien, Niall Desmond, Nelson McCarthy, Adam G

Share this article

Coláiste Choilm 2-12

Hamilton HS 2-8 



AN ENTERTAINING tussle in Brinny on Wednesday ended with Coláiste Choilm prevailing over Hamilton HS to reach the Corn Uí Mhuirí (Munster PPS U18 FC) semi-finals for the first time.

This was a game which teetered one way and then the other, and the outcome wasn’t properly put to bed until late points from Coláiste Choilm’s talismans Jack Murphy and Colm O’Callaghan put them out of reach.

Prior to that, twice goals for Hamilton had swung the momentum their way only for their Ballincollig opponents to reply with green flags of their own each time. The last of those was the most crucial, O’Callaghan driving forward to fire high to the roof of the net for a 2-10 to 2-7 lead after Murray’s fifth point had tied the game in the wake of Seán Barry’s goal for Hammies.

The goal chances were created all through the game, with James O’Sullivan putting Coláiste Choilm 0-3 to 0-2 ahead early on after goalkeeper Cathal O’Sullivan tipped his effort over, while at the other end Conor Calnan drew a fine stop from Adam O’Riordan.

Dylan Scott extended the Coláiste Choilm lead with another point which might have been a goal but on 20 the net was finally found, Hammies full-forward Fionn Herlihy profiting from good build-up play by Calnan and corner-back Cullen Barry to give them the lead for the first time.

That advantage was augmented as Cathal Manning, Tomás Sheehan and Calnan had scores, but Coláiste Choilm finished the first half with points from Jack Murphy and Ross O’Donovan to leave themselves within striking distance, 1-5 to 0-6, at the interval.

A booming Herlihy point, following patient build-up, extended the Hammies lead on the resumption but on 38 minutes Cian Rickard levelled for Coláiste Choilm with a drilled ground shot, making it 1-6 apiece.

They were on a roll when Jack Murphy, Evan Cooke and Scott gave them a cushion again, but once more a goal turned things. Sheehan’s second point for Hammies brought them to within two and they were in front when a shot from wing-back Seán Barry hit the post and crossed the line, with Rory Maguire following up to make sure. Barry was injured in the scoring of that goal though and the hold-up allowed Coláiste Choilm to regroup. They levelled when O’Callaghan’s surging run was halted illegally and Jack Murphy levelled; then O’Callaghan won possession from the restart and deposited the ball in the net.

Herlihy gave Hammies hope with a point from distance with five minutes left, however it was to be their last score and Coláiste Choilm made sure of the win in injury time.



Coláiste Choilm: Jack Murphy 0-6 (4f), Colm O’Callaghan 1-1, Cian Rickard 1-0, Dylan Scott 0-2, James O’Sullivan, Ross O’Donovan, Evan Cooke 0-1 each. 

Hamilton HS: Fionn Herlihy 1-2, Seán Barry 1-0, Tomás Sheehan, Cathal Manning (1f) 0-2 each, Conor Calnan, Darragh O’Shea 0-1 each.

Coláiste Choilm: Adam O’Riordan (Éire Óg); Barry Sorenson (Ballincollig), Seán Walsh (Ballincollig), Shane Dwane (St Finbarr’s); Killian Sheehan (Éire Óg), Fintan Denny (Ballincollig), Evan Dodd (Canovee); Evan Cooke (Ballincollig), Colm O’Callaghan (Éire Óg); Ross O’Donovan (Ballincollig), James O’Sullivan (Éire Óg), Hugh Murphy (Éire Óg); Dylan Scott (Inniscarra), Jack Murphy (Éire Óg), Cian Rickard (Éire Óg). 

Sub: Kieran Walsh (Canovee) for Sheehan (41).

Hamilton HS: Cathal O’Sullivan (Valley Rovers); Paul Lang (Bandon), Cathal Mangan (Ahán Gaels), Cullen Barry (Sam Maguires); Seán Barry (Valley Rovers), Rory Maguire (Castlehaven), Adam Kenneally (Valley Rovers); Gearóid O’Donovan (Newcestown), Tomás Sheehan (Kilbrittain); Conor Calnan (Bandon), Philip Wall (Kilbrittain), Darragh O’Shea (Valley Rovers); Cathal Manning (Valley Rovers), Fionn Herlihy (Sam Maguires), Bertie Butler (Kilbrittain). 

Subs: Aaron O’Leary (Valley Rovers) for Calnan (48), Tim Twohig (Bandon) for Seán Barry (51, injured), Eoghan Collins (Newcestown) for Sheehan (53, black card).

Referee: Simon Stokes (Tullylease).

Share this article

Related content


to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.