Beara's fate sealed in first half

March 23rd, 2019 4:00 PM

By Ger McCarthy

Beara's David Harrington tries to get past the challenge of Seandun's Darren O'Regan during the senior football championship clash at Dunmanway.

Share this article

Beara crashed out of the 2019 Cork senior football championship following a heavy defeat to Seandún in Dunmanway last Monday afternoon.




BEARA crashed out of the 2019 Cork senior football championship following a heavy defeat to Seandún in Dunmanway last Monday afternoon.

It was a bad day at the office as a disappointing performance saw Beara play second fiddle to a smarter and more clinical Seandún in this round one divisions/colleges meeting. 

Under Paddy O’Shea, the city division prepared for last weekend’s Cork SFC clash by playing a number of challenge matches. Seandún also had done their homework done as the tactic of pushing up on Beara’s kick-outs with the aid of a strong wind reaped dividends throughout a one-sided first half. Seven unanswered scores during a second quarter in which Eoghan Buckley scored a fine goal sealed Beara’s fate. 

The rural division was nine points down at the interval and although they attempted a second-half fightback, repeatedly turning over possession quickly extinguished any hope and masked an oth-erwise decent defensive effort. 

An opening quarter dogged by poor shooting and persistent fouling ended with two nervous teams tied 0-2 to 0-2 after 15 minutes. Well in the game at that juncture, Beara were punished for giving the ball away in their own half as Seandún opened up a four-point lead with Donal Cremin (free), Eoghan Buckley, James Kind and Shane Duggan finding their range.

Then, after 26 minutes, a superb six-man move ended with Eoghan Buckley palming the ball into the net to make it 1-6 to 0-2 in Seandún’s favour. A dismal first half ended with Beara nine points behind after Eoghan Buckley and Donal Cremin split the posts from consecutive frees.

A pair of superb James Harrington and David Harrington scores reduced the deficit immediately after the break but Beara were unable to capitalise as Donal Cremin quickly converted another free. David Harrington was Beara’s only consistent attacking threat on the day and kicked his division’s fifth point before Shane Duggan and Eoghan Buckley (free) replied to make it 1-12 to 0-5 in the city side’s favour.

There was still time for Brian Terry O’Sullivan to be black carded plus David Harrington and sub-stitute Kevin Goggin to kick the final scores of a championship encounter dominated and deserv-edly won by Seandún.

• Beara played in Bere Island’s blue jerseys and Seandún in Delany’s green jerseys because of a colour-clash (both wear red) prior to throw-in.



Seandún: Eoghan Buckley 1-3 (2f), Donal Cremin 0-5 (3f), Shane Duggan 0-2, Gavin McCarthy (1f), James Kind 0-1 each.

Beara: David Harrington 0-4 (1f), James Harrington 0-2, Kevin Goggin 0-1 (1f).


Seandún: Marin Burke (St Michael’s); Adam Murphy (Passage), Gavin McCarthy (St Vincent’s), Aidan O’Callaghan (St Vincent’s); Gary Gould (Delaney Rovers), Darren O’Regan (captain, St Vin-cent’s), Stephen Crowley (Brian Dillons); Wayne Long (St Vincent’s), Anthony O’Callaghan (St Vin-cent’s); Shane Duggan (St Vincent’s), James Kind (Passage), Keith Hegarty (St Michael’s); Dan Lucey (Mayfield), Donal Cremin (St Michael’s), Eoghan Buckley (St Michael’s). 

Subs: Killian Brosnan (Brian Dillons) for D O’Regan (42), JP Murphy (St Vincent’s) for D Cremin (47), Alan Good (St Vincent’s) for S Duggan (54), Ciarán O’Gorman (Whitechurch) for E Buckley (56), Cathal Sheehy (Whitechurch) for A Murphy (56).

Beara: William O’Sullivan (Adrigole); Aidan O’Neill (Urhan), Eanna Murphy (Garnish), David Torres (Castletownbere); Aaron O’Sullivan (Adrigole), Shane McCarthy (Castletownbere), Fergal Carey (Adrigole); Brian Terry O’Sullivan (captain, Garnish), Sean Terry O’Sullivan (Garnish); James Harrington (Castletownbere), Conor Lowney (Urhan), Paul O’Neill (Garnish), Eoghan McElhinney (Glengarriff), David Harrington (Adrigole), Reece Dillane (Castletownbere).

Subs: Kevin Goggin (Adrigole) for R Dillane (22), Martin McCarthy (Urhan) for P O’Neill (40), Jack O’Sullivan for B Terry O’Sullivan (49, bc).

Referee:  Alan Long (Argideen Rangers).

Share this article

Related content