A BEARA community activist has described as ‘scandalous’ the fact that the Dursey Cable Car was closed on Tuesday of last week at a time when there were 50 vehicles lined up in the car park.
Michael O’Sullivan, who is the chairman of the Older People’s Council, made a video, which he posted on Facebook, of the 53 cars and mini-buses belonging to locals and tourists hoping to take a ride on Ireland’s only cable car service.
Mr O’Sullivan acknowledged that the cable car might have been closed for lunch because the opening hours are still running on the winter schedule from 9am to 11am, from 2.30pm to 5pm and from 7pm to 8pm Mondays through to Saturday, with a slight variation to the Sunday operating hours.
He also acknowledged that Cork County Council is in the process of taking on four employees to run the service, but he was adamant that the unique facility ‘shouldn’t be closed for lunch.’ He maintains it should be operating from 8am until dusk without a lunch break on a daily basis.
‘You don’t have to be a mathematical genius to work out the demand given that the cable car only takes six people at any one time, and 20 minutes to make the crossing over and back to Dursey Island. As it is, the wait is too long.’
Mr O’Sullivan said: ‘This would not be allowed to happen in Kerry, would it? Doesn’t the Council realise that B&B owners are being heavily criticised by guests who go to Dursey Sound hoping to get the cable car only to find they can’t get on to the island?
‘Tourists have itineraries and for them to be told that can’t use the service is ludicrous.’