Southern Star January 31 2015
FUNDING for towns for Patrick’s Day parades will have to be applied for on a specific application form which will shortly be available on the Council’s website, councillors were told last week.
Officials were responding to a motion from Cllr Murphy O’Mahony at last week’s meeting of the Bandon-Kinsale Municipal District, seeking an allocation of funding for both town’s parades this year.
‘We cannot go ahead and just allocate money for one or two groups. We have to give the opportunity to everybody to come in together,’ Municipal District Officer Jacqueline Mansfield told Cllr Murphy O’Mahony. She said that the form would be available soon on the website.
‘We were depending on money from Bandon Town Council every year to fund the parade,’ commented Cllr Rachel McCarthy. ‘The biggest cost is insurance and I have been tasked with that job and I am unsure now what is the situation. The work we have done on booking entertainers would be dependant on that money and Kinsale are in the same position. Cllr Kevin Murphy suggested the committees should write to Ms Mansfield suggesting they be considered for funding.