THE Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that a total of 9 people with Covid-19 have died.
There have now been a total 1,691* Covid-19 related deaths in Ireland.
As of midnight Monday 8 June the HPSC has been notified of 9 confirmed cases of Covid-19. There is now a total of 25,215** confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Ireland.
The HSE is working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.
There is currently a total of 110 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in hospital. Of these, 35 cases are currently in ICU.
Today’s data from the HPSC, as of midnight, Sunday 7 June (25,206 cases), reveals:
· 57% are female and 43% are male
· the median age of confirmed cases is 48 years
· 3,331 cases (13%) have been hospitalised
· Of those hospitalised, 413 cases have been admitted to ICU
· 8,087 cases are associated with healthcare workers
· Dublin has the highest number of cases at 12,159 (48% of all cases) followed by Cork with 1,529 cases (6%) and then Kildare with 1,424 cases (6%)
· Of those for whom transmission status is known: community transmission accounts for 38%, close contact accounts for 59%, travel abroad accounts for 2%
As of midnight Monday 8 June, 367,780 tests have been carried out. Over the past week, 19,364 tests were carried out. 185 tests were positive, giving a positivity rate of 1%.
Dr Tony Holohan, chief medical officer, Department of Health, said: ‘While today we report nine new cases and the situation continues to improve in both Ireland and across Europe, the World Health Organisation has noted that now is not the time to “take the foot off the pedal” and that countries need to continue to work hard to avoid complacency and promote solidarity.’
Dr Ronan Glynn, deputy chief medical officer, Department of Health, said: ‘Contact tracing & public health surveillance are essential elements in our response to Covid-19. Public Health doctors and their teams have quietly undertaken an extraordinary effort to contact trace over 25,000 COVID-19 cases to date. Going forward, we can all assist them in their work by limiting the number of people we meet and keeping a log of the people we interact with every day.’
*Validation of data at the HPSC has resulted in the denotification of 1 death. The figure of 1,691 deaths reflects this.
**Validation of data at the HPSC has resulted in the denotification of 1 confirmed case. The figure of 25,215 confirmed cases reflects this.
The Department of Health’s COVID-19 Information Dashboard (click here) provides the latest case information.
- To watch or listen to the Southern Star Coronavirus Podcast, please search Coronavirus Podcast at the top of this page or see the Southern Star on YouTube.
- You can subscribe to the Southern Star Coronavirus podcast which is available on YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, or wherever you get your podcasts.