News

Brian Crowley will not contest European elections

January 17th, 2019 1:28 PM

By Southern Star Team

Brian Crowley MEP at a press conference in Cork on Thursday

Share this article

Ireland South MEP Brian Crowley has today announced that he will not be contesting the European elections in May.

Mr Crowley said at a press conference in Cork today that he 'doesn't know his future plans' but he won't be returning to public life.

Crowley (54) topped the poll in the 2014 European elections for Ireland South.

He said that he has endured over 30 surgeries over the past three years and he said that he had hoped each surgery would be the one to get him back to Brussels.

He said that although lying in bed for three and half year had been frustrating he had 'never mis led the electorate over his condition' and he was still contributing and making changes from hosptial.

Crowley stated that he has plans to return to Brussels for February, March and April to 'wrap things up'.

Crowley noted that he had not spoken to Fianna Fáil leader Micheal Martin since July 2014 but insisted they were 'not enemies' and that he intends to fully support whoever the next candiate is.

He also said that his health is now very good and he's back living in Bandon.

Share this article

Related content

Subscribe

to our mailing list for the latest news and sport:

Thank You!

You have successfully been subscribed to SouthernStar newsletter!

Form submitting... Thank you for waiting.