Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • News

Patients finally on the move into Bandon’s €3.4m hospital

Monday, 19th February, 2018 10:15pm

Story by Emma Connolly
Patients finally on the move into Bandon’s €3.4m hospital

One of the new rooms in the Bandon Community Hospital which, until this week, was lying idle, because of a dispute.

THE multi-million euro new Bandon Community Hospital has finally opened – on a phased basis. 

The 12 existing patients in the adjoining hospital facility moved across to the €3.4m building this week.

A row between the HSE and unions over staffing levels for the new 25-bed hospital had delayed the opening of the building which was completed last December. The state-of-the-art building had been lying idle since, until this week.

Unions were looking for greater staff/patient ratios as the new facility comprises mainly single rooms, as opposed to regular wards. 

Following a Labour Court hearing last week, it was agreed that a joint review group (comprising two HSE members and two union officials) would continue to engage to clear the way for new admissions.

INMO spokesman Liam Conway said: ‘Both parties are in agreement that this process is the best way forward.’ 

Gabrielle O’Keeffe, head of social care with Cork Kerry Community Healthcare, said: ‘I am very happy to see this progress. I wish to thank everyone involved in moving the residents into their new accommodation, and to thank the residents and their families.’

Junior Minister Jim Daly, who has been very involved in the project, has welcomed the move, as well as Friends of Bandon Hospital who fundraised €240,000 for a dedicated day room for patients. 

‘We are absolutely thrilled the issue has been resolved,’ said the group’s PRO Pat Brennan.

Stay up-to-date with the latest West Cork news with a Southern Star digital subscription on your phone, tablet or computer. Click here for more.