• News

Breaking: Council gets permission to demolish Bandon buildings

Friday, 15th March, 2019 2:54pm
Breaking: Council gets permission to demolish Bandon buildings

The buildings will now be demolished by Cork County Council. (Photo: Denis Boyle)

Cork County Council has been granted a court order to demolish No 2&3 Oliver Plunkett Street themselves following a court application at Bandon District Court this morning.

The street has been closed off since the collapse of the residential buildings on Decemeber 10th last year.

Barrister Donnchadh McCarthy for Cork County Council sought the order under the Local Government Sanitary Services Act 1964 which allows the local authority intervene when there is a dangerous buiding.

The court was told that closure of the street due to the collapsed buildings was causing major economic loss to retailers in Bandon due to the lack of footfall on the street.
Judge McNulty said the court is satisfied, having heard the evidence, and granted Cork County Council the order.

A part of Oliver Plunkett St has been closed off since last December after the two residential buildings collapsed.