• Business

Norwegian says closures will have ‘no impact’ on flights to US

Saturday, 2nd February, 2019 10:05pm

Story by Siobhan Cronin
Norwegian says closures will have ‘no impact’ on flights to US

Minister Simon Coveney with Bjorn Kjos, chief executive, Norwegian at the high-profile announcement of flights to the US from Cork for the very first time, in March 2017.

AIRLINE Norwegian has claimed there will be ‘no impact’ on flights from Cork to the US next summer, despite its decision to close crew bases in the North East of America.

Norwegian is closing crew bases in Providence, Rhode Island, and Newburgh, New York, but claims there will be no cuts to current flight schedules from Ireland to the US.

Last year Norwegian axed its planned winter schedule from Cork to Boston and now only operates the route from March until October. Its planned route from Cork to New York has never materialised.

Norwegian first opened crew bases at both of the Northeast airports in the US 2017, but now the company says it will move crews for the Boeing 737 Max aircraft to bases in Europe.

‘There is no impact on the Irish operation,’ a spokesperson told The Southern Star. ‘The base closures will have minimum effect on customers as scheduled flights that are out for sale will operate.’

‘As a result of the future base closures, only four of summer routes (sic) will be discontinued: Rome-Gothenburg, Rome-Tenerife South, Rome-Reykjavik and Rome-Tel Aviv,’ a statement on its website added. 

------------

Fancy winning a Clarins hamper courtesy of our friends at Drinagh Pharmacy? Take our love survey now to enter a free draw! Click here for more information.