Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We dont sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • News

‘Slán’ to the Bean an Tí?

Tuesday, 13th February, 2018 10:05pm

Story by Emma Connolly
‘Slán’ to the Bean an Tí?

The lack of the traditional Irish-speaking home-makers will mean an end to Ballyvourney’s 42-year-old Irish language courses. 

THE Bean an Tí could be a thing of the past, if the current shortage being experienced in Ballyvourney is reflected elsewhere.

It was announced this week that the lack of the traditional Irish-speaking home-makers will mean an end to Ballyvourney’s 42-year-old Irish language courses. 

As the economy shows signs of recovery, Gael Linn have had to cancel their Irish courses because they can’t find enough Mná Tí to take care of the secondary school students who come to the Gaeltacht to improve their ‘cúpla focail’. 

The courses – which ran over two three-week periods – were largely regarded as an important stream of revenue for the local economy. 

However, Jamie Ó Tuama, manager of Coláiste Bhaile Bhuirne, said they will not go ahead this summer because they don’t have enough accommodation. He said that ten years ago they would have had 87 beds available per course. ‘Last year it was 40, but with the loss of three Bean an Tí from our panel for different reasons, it would not have been worthwhile this year.’

He admitted the courses provided a healthy income for the area, with students from Dublin, Limerick and Clare. 

‘Parents would have visited their children and stayed locally, eaten locally etc.’ He was keen to point out that should additional accommodation become available, the courses would be reinstated.

Stay up-to-date with the latest West Cork news with a Southern Star digital subscription on your phone, tablet or computer. Click here for more.