Cookies on The Southern Star website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the The Southern Star website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.
How does The Southern Star use cookies?
Cookies enable us to identify your device, or you when you have logged in. We use cookies that are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features. We use cookies to enhance the functionality of the website by storing your preferences, for example. We also use cookies to help us to improve the performance of our website to provide you with a better user experience.
We don’t sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Hide Message
  • News

Fear that broadband is years away yet

Thursday, 12th October, 2017 10:22am
Fear that broadband is years away yet

Cork North West TD, Aindrias Moynihan

RURAL West Cork dwellers are concerned and frustrated about the delivery of the National Broadband Plan following the decision of SIRO to pull out of the tender process.

That’s according to Cork North West TD, Aindrias Moynihan who said: ‘With one of the three bidders pulling out, this is a further reduction in the potential capacity of the remaining consortiums to deliver the high speed quality broadband to rural Ireland.’

He said many people in rural communities in the locality had been in touch with him to voice their worry. 

‘Eir’s work in rolling out broadband on a commercial basis is a decent start for some communities; however, there are many villages and townlands outside Eir’s scope of work. People living in these areas are very worried that the state’s broadband rollout won’t reach them for many, many years.’

He said the decision by SIRO highlighted the ‘dysfunction at the heart of this government initiative.’

‘The convoluted, ham fisted and drawn out process under the watch of successive ministers has clearly forced SIRO’s hand in this matter.’

He added: ‘With just two potential bidders now in the mix, the imperative must be to award a tender as quickly as possible, and deliver broadband to the over 500,000 people desperately in need of a quality service.’

Keep up-to-date with the latest news from around the county with a Southern Star epaper subscription. Click here for more