Lots to do this week as rally draws closer
THE Quality Hotel West Cork Rally (March 16/17) is some seven weeks away and currently many competitors are busy preparing their cars for the two-day event that will be based in Clonakilty.
The Southern Star has decided to follow the progress and pre-event preparation of one of the best known local competitors, Barryroe’s Damien McCarthy, who finished third overall in last year’s rally.
Damien has decided to re-shell his Class 11 Honda Civic and began the project last July.
‘The car I was using throughout the last few years had a bolt-in cage, from a safety perspective, I wanted a proper welded-in cage and I suppose I also wanted to freshen up the car,’ commented Damien.
The fabrication work was completed in Ennis and last weekend, Damien took delivery of the painted shell.
Work for the current week includes setting up the seat, steering column position, floor mounted pedal box and work on the body panels. Each week, through Damien’s Diary, The Southern Star will follow his progress and look at the targets he will set for the week ahead.
- Goold to partner O'Connor in Cork midfield for Munster SFC final
- Fachtna's death leaves void in community
- Bandon ace and Barnsley star Conor Hourihane has never forgotten his roots
- In this week's Southern Star
- Search resumes off Baltimore for missing man
- Ghost hunters trying to identify 'mystery man' in Timoleague
- Two West Cork derbies whet the appetite in draw for round four of Cork SFC
- Harnedy returns to Cork hurlers' starting 15 for All-Ireland qualifier against Wexford
- Local firms are backing adventure race in Skibb
- All female Search and Rescue Helicopter crew