Lots to do this week as rally draws closer
THE Quality Hotel West Cork Rally (March 16/17) is some seven weeks away and currently many competitors are busy preparing their cars for the two-day event that will be based in Clonakilty.
The Southern Star has decided to follow the progress and pre-event preparation of one of the best known local competitors, Barryroe’s Damien McCarthy, who finished third overall in last year’s rally.
Damien has decided to re-shell his Class 11 Honda Civic and began the project last July.
‘The car I was using throughout the last few years had a bolt-in cage, from a safety perspective, I wanted a proper welded-in cage and I suppose I also wanted to freshen up the car,’ commented Damien.
The fabrication work was completed in Ennis and last weekend, Damien took delivery of the painted shell.
Work for the current week includes setting up the seat, steering column position, floor mounted pedal box and work on the body panels. Each week, through Damien’s Diary, The Southern Star will follow his progress and look at the targets he will set for the week ahead.
- Dohenys and Bantry Blues advance in SW U21 A football championship
- Severe storm causes deaths of thousands of farmed salmon
- Earn your SCAR in 2014!
- Public shut out of popular Gougane Barra amenity
- West Cork jockeys bid for Cheltenham glory
- Remembering Rachel
- Heartbreak as Deane sidelined by cruciate injury
- Pushing a contentious fish farming strategy
- Salmon farm 'wipe-out' in Bantry Bay?
- Success on the double for Cork footballers and hurlers in leagues