Lots to do this week as rally draws closer
THE Quality Hotel West Cork Rally (March 16/17) is some seven weeks away and currently many competitors are busy preparing their cars for the two-day event that will be based in Clonakilty.
The Southern Star has decided to follow the progress and pre-event preparation of one of the best known local competitors, Barryroe’s Damien McCarthy, who finished third overall in last year’s rally.
Damien has decided to re-shell his Class 11 Honda Civic and began the project last July.
‘The car I was using throughout the last few years had a bolt-in cage, from a safety perspective, I wanted a proper welded-in cage and I suppose I also wanted to freshen up the car,’ commented Damien.
The fabrication work was completed in Ennis and last weekend, Damien took delivery of the painted shell.
Work for the current week includes setting up the seat, steering column position, floor mounted pedal box and work on the body panels. Each week, through Damien’s Diary, The Southern Star will follow his progress and look at the targets he will set for the week ahead.
- Wayne is drawing the attention of the top celebrities
- Stunning aerial views of Cape Clear as storm gate chamber installed
- Visitors forced to cross busy road after exiting bus
- Today is International Day of Older People
- Locals shine as Hollywood hits the Head
- Faughna notes the changes in a career spanning 40 great years
- Women 'need to know' sex offender's location
- Maritime college celebrates 10 years
- Reducing dampness and condensation in the home
- Cllrs given a 2016 start date for Bantry works