Clonakilty win back-to-back South West U21 football titles
CLONAKILTY have won back-to-back South West U21 A football titles for the first time in the club’s history after defeating Castlehaven 0-14 to 0-3 in the final.
In a repeat of year’s U21 A decider, Clonakilty were far too strong for a young Haven side, without the injured Michael Hurley, at a wet and windy Dunmanway on Friday evening.
Having led by one at half time, 0-4 to 0-3, Clonakilty took over in the second half thanks to a solid midfield platform where Cork U21 Sean White caught the eye, as the winners added ten points while holding Castlehaven scoreless. Between them Jack O’Mahony (0-6, 2f) and Jonathan Leahy (0-4, 1f) accounted for ten of Clonakilty’s final tally.
Incidentally, Haven didn’t score from play in this divisional decider, as Eoin Dennehy sent over three frees for the losers who battled hard in that opening half.
The sides were level at 0-1 apiece after 11 minutes, as Dennehy’s free for Castlehaven cancelled out Jack O’Mahony’s opener, and the latter added two more scores as Clon pulled clear, aided by another point from Jonathan Leahy, as they led 0-4 to 0-1 after 21 minutes.
A strong last ten minutes to the half saw Haven pull back two scores to trail by just one at half time, 0-4 to 0-3.
The second half belonged to a more experienced Clon who added ten points, with O’Mahony, Leahy, Gearoid Barry, Sean McEvoy, Sean White and Ian Falvey all getting in on the act for Sean Cowhig’s title-winning young charges.
Clonakilty: J O’Mahony 0-6 (2f), J Leahy 0-4 (1f), S McEvoy, I Falvey, G Barry and S White 0-1 each.
Castlehaven: Eoin Dennehy 0-3f.
Clonakilty: A Collins; C Sheehy, C O'Donovan, T O'Connell; M Scally, K Cormican, J Henry; C Crowley, S White; I Favley, G Barry, J O'Mahony; J Leahy, J Cowhig, S McEvoy.
Subs used: JP Maughan, R Mannix, E Deasy, J Barrett, C Crowley.
Castlehaven: C O'Driscoll; R Walsh, P O'Brien, D Whelton; B Deasy, C Nolan, J Burns; D Cahalane, B Nolan; S Kearney, E Dennehy, C Cahalane; P Bohane, A Pearce, S Walsh.
Subs used: A Davis, C O'Mahony.
Referee: E Sheehy (Newcestown).
Don’t miss next Thursday’s Southern Star for a full match report plus reaction from a fantastic night for Clonakilty GAA.
- Gardai appeal for witnesses to Douglas assault
- Accused called victim an 'awful girl' in letter to his wife Gemma
- Much-loved Rathbarry phone box gets a reprieve
- In this week's Southern Star...
- Give kids the right to 'die with dignity' says Rachel's mum
- Monks, miners, megaliths and more in Manning's 'Culture Kitchen' experience
- Veronica struts her stuff on OT catwalk tonight
- West Cork actors thrust into spotlight as Hozier video gets over 100m hits
- Priest jailed for sex assault on young girl
- Retired garda denies 'scratching around' for evidence on Bailey