Call to home disabled man in Bantry
CLLR Kathleen Tassyman (FF) has called on Cork County Council to do all it can to find a suitable home for a disabled Bantry man.
Ritchie Doyle (44) is sleeping on the floor of his home because he can’t climb the narrow stairs that leads to his bedroom.
‘I have to sleep on the floor because I can’t get up the stairs and the bathroom is on the ground floor,’ Ritchie told The Southern Star.
With ulcerated legs and weighing over 40 stone, Ritchie also needs the use of an oxygen ventilator.
‘The house here simply isn’t suitable for Ritchie and his condition. He has to leave the front door open to let in air and in this heat it is very important that he can breathe properly. With the traffic going by, he [Ritchie] is exposed to the fumes from the many trucks and cars,’ Cllr Tassyman said.
On the waiting list for a home for over a year now, Ritchie says his condition is getting worse the longer he has to live in the house.
‘The number of trucks and cars passing by each day has led me to hospital, where they diagnosed slight carbon monoxide poisoning. I find it harder and harder to breathe as the days go by,’ Ritchie continued.
According to Cllr Tassyman, Cork County Council has confirmed that there are no suitable houses available in the area at the moment.
‘He has been waiting for over a year. Everyone is entitled to a home. Indeed, Ritchie doesn’t even have a proper bed. Something must be done immediately and I will be calling on the housing department in Cork County Council to come and see the conditions that Ritchie is living in now and to make suitable accommodation available as soon as possible,’ Cllr Tassyman concluded.
- Carbery Hunt Ball at Ferhill House Hotel: Slideshow of Photos
- IN THIS WEEK'S SOUTHERN STAR NEWSPAPER
- Tragic homeless man was Skibbereen native
- In this week's Southern Star...
- Rathbarry winner in South West SuperValu/Fáilte Ireland Tidy Towns Awards
- Author shares theories on Drombeg stone circle
- Castletownbere is ready to benefit from the Wild Atlantic Way
- Pensioner says men came to evict her
- Reader's Picture of the Week November 15th, 2014
- Beara launch of song adapted from Meehan poem