Tucked away in a remote corner of the Beara peninsula, visitors to Alex Scade's Beara Donkey and Wildlife Sanctuary are greeted by the sounds of wild birds, gulls, ducks all trying to outdo each other in decibels.
By Jackie Keogh
Summertime festivals are meant to be great fun - a time to cut loose and allow people enjoy the very best of what their community has to offer - but the Ahakista Regatta and Festival also serves as a timely fundraiser for the community's stated objective of creating a new purpose-built community centre right in the heart of the village.
The 28th annual Rotary/MSD Charity Golf Am-Am was launched at Bandon Golf Club recently with Cork County Manager Tim Lucey giving the keynote address in the presence of Fred Norton, president, Bandon Rotary Club; Jenny Ruston, HR manager MSD and other senior personnel from the pharmaceutical giant, Bandon Golf Club officials, Pat McCarthy (president), Bernadette O'Halloran (lady captain) and Declan O'Neill (captain) and a large group of Bandon Rotary Club members.
TOP NEWS STORIES
- Stunning aerial views of Cape Clear as storm gate chamber installed
- Wayne is drawing the attention of the top celebrities
- In this week's Southern Star
- West Cork drama group heading for United States with 'Playboy'
- Locals shine as Hollywood hits the Head
- Visitors forced to cross busy road after exiting bus
- SLIDESHOW: Newcestown defeat Kanturk in PIHC semi-final